Could Veneers Be the Cosmetic Solution You’ve Been Wishing For?
Veneers may be the cosmetic solution to turn your frown upside down.
We all have hopes and dreams we wish will come true. Little kids might wish for a pony, a sparkly new dress, or the latest video game. Adults might wish for more practical things like all their bills paid, a new roof, or even a new car. Still other adults wish for improved health: lower blood pressure, fewer pounds around their midsections, or better smiles. If that last wish applies to you, could veneers be the cosmetic solution you have wished for?
If you want to improve your smile, you’re not alone. After all, whatever tooth imperfections you might have may prevent you from wanting to smile and have you wishing for improvements. And it’s not a bad desire; smiling is proven to be good for us, and veneers are an excellent solution for patients with one or more of the following dental concerns:
What are dental veneers?
Dental veneers are thin layers of material, usually porcelain or composite, that cover your natural teeth and fix your concerns in a beautiful, natural-looking way. Your skilled cosmetic dentist in Bee Cave, Texas, will shave off a fine layer from the front of your front teeth before cementing the veneers on top. The easy treatment process has made veneers an increasingly popular permanent cosmetic solution. Veneers are so popular that many of your favorite celebrities have used them to improve their own smile. Next time you watch a film on Netflix or the big screen, check out the smiles of stars like Miley Cyrus, Tom Cruise, and Nicolas Cage. They all achieved their perfect smiles with porcelain veneers.
Though porcelain veneers are the most popular type of dental veneer, other options are also available. Here are the five types of veneers:
- Porcelain veneers are thin porcelain layers cemented onto your natural teeth. Your dentist designs them according to your smile goals, takes into consideration your natural smile type and facial structure, and works with you to choose your ideal shade. Veneers are extremely versatile as far as the range of cosmetic issues they can address and can last 10 to 15 years with proper oral hygiene and dental care.
- Composite veneers are made of composite resin, the same type of material your dentist uses in tooth-colored fillings. Composite veneers are less durable than porcelain and more prone to staining.
- Palatal onlays are excellent cosmetic solutions but restore only the back sides of front (anterior) teeth. So while these are a type of veneer, they are not the kind you would normally get except in special cases like extensive damage from acid erosion.
- Lumineers are a specific brand of veneers. Convenient and ultrathin, they require less preparation and overall time but aren’t as effective for covering moderate stains and breaks. They also have a greater chance of chipping, which means they likely won’t last as long as porcelain.
- Removable veneers are neither invasive nor cemented in place like traditional porcelain veneers, and as such, are less expensive. The lab simply makes a custom prosthetic that snaps over your existing teeth. This said, they may look less natural than traditional veneers and are more prone to plaque buildup.
The Benefits of a Straighter, Whiter Smile
As we said before, you are not alone if you want to improve your smile. According to statista.com, a 2019 survey showed that 84% of U.S. adults between 18 and 34 felt bad teeth could negatively impact their life. And this is true. When we have bad teeth, it can lead to other oral health issues that impact our overall health. Furthermore, bad teeth can make us feel less like smiling. Yet smiling is important for our health too.
Smiling provides a much-needed mood boost, helping our body to release cortisol and endorphins. And when our body releases these chemicals, they can do the following:
- Lower blood pressure
- Improve endurance
- Reduce pain
- Reduce stress
- Strengthen the immune system
Talk to Dr. Tomasik and see if veneers are the cosmetic solution for you.
If you are ready to improve your smile and are considering veneers, now is the time to request an evaluation with Dr. Tomasik at Tomasik Family Dental in Bee Cave, Texas. We’ll determine if you are a candidate for veneers and which type of veneers are best for you. If needed, we’ll also discuss if a different cosmetic solution is better to help you achieve your smile goals. We have extensive experience helping patients with their smile makeovers and giving them the smiles they have always wanted. But if you are still on the fence, check out our smile gallery and see the difference that veneers can make in your smile.